Several town-wide gift card programs in Scandinavia generate over £500k in gift card sales per annum so what is it about them that local people really like.
We asked some of the existing town centre managers to provide some insight and they came up with a top five:
1. Choice – people really like the fact that the cards can be used in a wide range of businesses. They offer more choice than single-branded gift cards or vouchers.
2. Part-spend – the fact that you don’t have to use the full value of the card in one business is a real selling point. It means that recipients can explore multiple businesses.
3. Supporting the local economy – when you buy a town/city gift card for someone as a present you know that the money is going to stay local. This might not be enough reason in itself for people to but the card but combined with the other reasons it helps to seal the deal.
4. It works for everyone – we all have people that are difficult to buy presents for. The town/city gift card gives the choice back to the recipient ensuring they get something they really want.
5. It’s secure – the gift card programs are secured by Visa. The way the programs are set up mean that there always need to be sufficient funds to cover all the live cards.
Although the majority of town/city gift card sales are to consumers, significant sales can also be made to local businesses, charities and organisations:
- Thank you presents for volunteers
- Incentives and rewards
- Leaving presents
- Competition prizes
Once local businesses understand that by switching to the local gift card they are supporting the local economy, it’s an easy choice to make.
Miconex are working with towns, cities and BIDs across the UK to create unique gift card programs. Please just get in touch if you would like more information.